The city of Sherbrooke, Quebec is situated within the southern part of the province. The city of Sherbrooke could be located at the convergence of St. Francis and the Magog rivers. Sherbrooke is located within the heart of the Estrie administrative area.
According to the census of 2011, there were around 154,601 residents within Sherbrooke, making it the 6th biggest city in the province and the 30th largest city within the nation. That same year, the Sherbrooke Census Metropolitan Area had 201,890 inhabitants. This made it the 4th largest metropolitan area in Quebec and the 19th biggest within the nation. Sherbrooke is also the name of a territory equivalent, or also known as TE, to a regional county municipality and census division, or also referred to as CD, of Quebec, coextensive with the city of Sherbrooke.
The city of Sherbrooke is the main political, institutional, economic and cultural centre of Estrie. At the beginning of the 20th century, Sherbrooke was additionally known as the Queen of the Eastern Townships.
Sherbrooke is a vital university centre. The city has 8 institutions that employ 11,000 individuals, 3700 of which are researchers, professors and teachers. There are more than 40,000 students at the university. The direct economic effect of all of these institutions exceeds over one billion dollars. There are around 10.32 students per 100 residents for the proportional breakdown. The city of Sherbrooke has the biggest concentration of students within the whole Province of Quebec in proportion to its population.
The City of Sherbrooke has been an essential manufacturing center ever since the 19th century. This economic sector has gone through a major change in recent decades, due to the decline of Sherbrooke's traditional manufacturing regions. At present, the service industry occupies a big place within the economy of Sherbrooke, along with a prominent economy based on knowledge.
There is an abundance of lakes, rivers and mountains in the Sherbrooke region. The area provides many tourist amenities and several ski hills. Mont-Bellevue Park is a large park located within Sherbrooke that is well-known for downhill skiing and outdoor recreation.
American Loyalists were the first inhabitants of the city during 1793. Part of the area has been historically known as the Eastern Townships. Farmer Gilbert Hyatt was initially from Schenectady, New York. In 1802, he built a flour mill. The community was referred to as "Hyatt's Mills" until 1818. At that time, the village was renamed after Governor General Sir John Sherbrooke, when he retired and returned to England. Most of the residents within the city of Sherbrooke speak French, despite the township's Anglophone heritage and name; there are hardly any traces of Sherbrooke's English past remaining.
On the 1st of January, the year 2002, Sherbrooke grew considerably by the merges of the cities of Sherbrooke, Deauville, Lennoxville, Ascot, Bromptonville, Saint-Elie-d'Orford, Fleuimont and Rock Forrest.